Wednesday, March 28, 2012

False Angel Tried to Deceive Saint Pachomius

From the Living of Saint Pachomius the Great.

Chapter XLVIII
On one occasion when he shut himself away from everyone in solitude, the devil appeared and contended with him in a false guise.
"Greetings, Pachomius," he said. "I am Christ paying you a visit, my faithful friend."
But guided by the holy Spirit, he thought for a while, then spurned this vision of the enemy.
"The coming of Christ always being peace, and to see him is to be free from all fear and full of joy. Human reason is banished afar and gives way to a longing for heaven. But at this moment I am in a turmoil, gripped by a tumult of confusing thoughts."
He rose up and signed himself with the cross, and stretching out his hands as if to seize him, he breathed upon him.
"Devil, depart from me," he cried. "Cursed are you and your visions and your insidious arts. You have no place among the servants of God."
He was turned to dust, filling the cell with a most foul smell, and Pachomius heard a loud voice shattering the silence:
"I would have rewarded you greatly if I had persuaded you into my power. But the power of Christ is supreme, and I am always beaten by you. But make no mistake, I shall always continue to attack you. I am bound to carry out my task without ceasing."
So Pachomius was strengthened by the holy Spirit, and put his trust in the Lord, giving thanks for the great gifts and blessings showered upon him.

No comments:

Post a Comment